For Candidates in Illinois who have Passed the Uniform CPA Exam
The Illinois Board of Examiners requires that applicants complete at least one full year of experience before being eligible to apply for a CPA license.
This experience can be earned in public practice, academia, government, or industry and does not require direct supervision of a licensed CPA.
Ethics Exam Requirement
The Illinois Board of Examiners requires that applicants pass the AICPA’s ethics examination before they can hold a CPA license in Illinois.
- Licenses are renewed online
- The three year renewal cycle ends on September 30
- Those that hold a CPA license will receive a memo 90-120 days before the renewal deadline
Continuing Professional Education Requirements
The CPE requirements for renewing a CPA license in Illinois are:
- 120 CPE hours over the three year validation period
- There is no minimum number of hours per year. All hours can be done in one year or divided between the three years that make up each validation period
- Self study is acceptable, but there is a 60 hour limit
- There are no CPE requirements for the first license renewal