For Candidates in Virginia that have not Taken the Uniform CPA Exam
The Virginia Board of Accountancy (VABOA), established in 1910, has its own eligibility requirements for taking the Uniform Certified Public Accountant Examination as well as obtaining a license. The VABOA is an independent agency funded solely by fees collected from examination and licensing candidates.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Virginia was home to 39,280 accountants, auditors and CPAs in 2012, earning a mean annual salary of $76,670. The Bureau expects a 13 percent growth in the number of accounting jobs in the state by 2022.
Virginia candidates are NOT required to have all 150 hours of college credit to sit for the Uniform Accountancy Exam.
Candidates must have at least 120 semester hours of college credits or its quarter hours equivalent obtained from a college or university accredited by an official accrediting agency, to include:
- At least 24 semester hours of accounting classes to include Auditing, Financial Accounting, Management Accounting and Taxation (courses in Principles of Accounting or Introductory Accounting are not eligible to fulfill this requirement)
- At least 24 hours of business courses (accounting classes may substitute for up to six of these hours)
Credit hours from accredited online schools are acceptable; those from educational institutions located outside the U.S. must be pre-evaluated.
- Virginia CPA exam candidates are NOT required to be U.S. citizens or state residents
- Virginia has no minimum age requirement
- Virginia exam candidates must apply to sit for the exam through the Virginia Board of Accountancy
Exam Fee Requirements
The CPA examination application and processing fee schedule:
- Initial application – $125.00
- Re-examination application – $20.00
- Transcript pre-evaluation – $25.00
- Examination score transf – $25.00
State exam component fees:
- Auditing & Attestation (AUD) – $190.35
- Business Environment & Concepts (BEC) – $171.25
- Financial Accounting & Reporting (FAR) – $190.35
- Regulation (REG) – $171.25
Prometric test centers in Virginia can be found in:
- Falls Church
Already passed the CPA Exam and looking for additional licensing requirements in Virginia? – Click Here